Studying for qualifications and taking exams is a normal way to demonstrate your ability. However the process can be very daunting.
In this section there are four areas of study support that will help you get the best out of your learning.
Learning styles - How do you learn best?
Study skills - lot of techniques to help you study.
Exams - help and advice to be successful.
Motivation and Time Management - become more positive about studying.
Ever wondered why it is important to know how you learn?
We learn things in different ways like seeing, hearing, and experiencing things first hand.
Knowing the best way for you to learn means that you are more likely to be successful either academically or practically.
Ever wondered why Study Skills are important?
Any skill that helps a person to study and pass exams can be termed a study skill. Study skills are discrete techniques that can be learned, usually in a short time and used in any subject area.
They help you to remember and learn new information, to do well with homework and tests and to pass exams so that you can progress to the next level.
Want to know more about the following?
· Homework hints
· Key Skills: Maths and Literacy
· Improve your reading skills
· Study techniques
· Get the most out of your study space
· Ten ways to build the perfect study space
· Top tips for independent learning
· Improve your memory
· Note-taking tips
· Become a more active reader
· Brush up your English skills
· Get essay writing right
· Essay writing: How to get your point across
· Essay writing: Linking words and phrases
· How do I write a research essay?
· Research essays: Using sources
· Presentation tips
· Debating tips and tricks
· 5 things you might not know about your local library
Being prepared and calm can increase your success rate when it comes to taking exams.
A survey of how people study for exams shows that nearly 50% of young people will cram the night before. But is this the best way to study?
It is easy to feel overwhelmed. You may feel that the task is too big, and that whatever you do you will not succeed.
The key is to be realistic. Yes, you will have less free time temporarily. No, you will not have to go without free time completely.
Find out more about the following:
· Dealing with exam stress
· Different types of exam
· Four tips to improve your exam technique
· Exam re-marking explained
Motivation and Time Management
Have you noticed the difference between working on something you like and working on something you don't like?
If you don't have motivation, it's easy to get discouraged when you meet obstacles. That's why motivation often makes the difference between success and failure. Success happens when you are motivated to work through challenges and difficulties
Time management teaches you how to manage your time effectively and make the most of it. Everyone has the exact same amount of time each day. Time not well used cannot be retrieved.
Do you want to know more about the following?
· Learn to motivate yourself
· 5 reasons to keep studying
· 5 great energising study ideas
· Managing your time at university
· Time management tips
· Time management jargon buster
· Time management quiz
· Time management quiz: answers explained
· Secrets of success
· A medal winning Paralympic