This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. View our cookie policyX

Health & Wellbeing


We want to ensure that everyone gets the best advice on health, including both physical and emotional wellbeing. Your Personal Adviser and Social Worker can give you advice and also help you find and access any specialist services you might need. Your Pathway Plan will include registering with a doctor and dentist and should cover arrangements for any additional health needs.

Your Personal Adviser/Social Worker has access to a clinician who can offer them and you advice in relation to your mental health and emotional wellbeing. There is also a dedicated ‘Looked After Children’s Nurse’ available for advice and support.

General medical advice can be found on the NHS website NHS Choices.

If you need medical help in an emergency, phone 999. If it is not such a serious matter, you can call the free 111 number for general advice.



Health assessments

As a looked after child you will have annual health assessments, and a Health Action Plan to ensure your health needs are met. 

Young people seeking asylum have a health assessment when they first arrive in the UK to identify any health needs. This will support you to have all the checks that you need and help with any injuries or experiences from your journey, as well as helping you adjust to life in the UK.

As you leave ‘care’ you will have an assessment to ensure you understand your own health needs and are supported to make any necessary arrangements. Staff will work with you to make a ‘health passport’ containing key information from your childhood (for example, if and when you have had immunisations) and your current health needs.




Advice and support

Your Personal Adviser and Social Worker can help you with the many things, including:

  • Information on healthy lifestyles and diet

  • Support to register with a GP, dentist and opticians

  • Information about health drop-in centres

  • Getting help to pay for prescriptions

  • Help with transport costs, if needed, for attending health appointments

  • Support, if required, to move from CAMHS to adult mental health services

  • Information about locally available counselling services

  • Priority referrals to agencies providing support with drugs and alcohol.

  • If you are pregnant, ensuring you have access to health care and support throughout your pregnancy



Mental health and emotional wellbeing.

It is very common for young people who have had difficult early experiences and have been in care to find aspects of life challenging or even overwhelming.

If you are feeling stressed, worried, unhappy or have any other emotional or mental health difficulties then the best thing to do is to contact your GP. Your Personal Adviser, Social Worker, carer or support worker can help you with this if you want them to. Your GP will be able to assess how you are feeling and recommend certain treatments, for example, talking therapies or medication or refer you to other agencies.

If you would like to talk to someone about your feelings or about events that have happened in your past, there are organisations who can offer counselling. You can contact them yourself or have support to do so:


 MIND: for individual or group therapy


 Psychological Wellbeing Service: for anxiety or low mood


The Samaritans is also a really useful organisation to contact when you want to just talk to someone anonymously about anything at all. They can be contacted any time for free on 116 123.

The Leaving Care Team also has a Clinician who helps support the young people we work with. The Clinician could meet with you and offer an assessment of your difficulties and explore with you available options for support and self-help.


Other services that you can access include: 0808 808 4994 telephone or online chat (national)

Kooth on line support (national)

Keep Your Head Cambridgeshire and Peterborough

  YMCA - or call 01733 373170




Break – Emotional wellbeing service: Experienced Emotional Wellbeing Practitioners will provide a local and safe place for young people to talk through past experiences and issues that they might be facing. Helping to develop positive relationships and deal with past trauma. These sessions will last for a minimum of 12 weeks and will be reviewed at the midpoint and the end. If you would like more information about this service, speak with your personal advisor.



Sexual Identity

Straight, gay or not sure - 2Byou offers support and friendship to young people aged 14-24 years discovering or questioning their sexuality or gender.

Contact via The Kite Trust email or telephone 01223 369508.

For individual support for gender diverse and transgender children and young people contact


Sexual Health.

Some of the team members are ‘C-Card’ trained. This means they can give you a wide range of advice on sexual matters including sexual health, relationships and contraception and also information about the C-Card which provides free condoms and dams.

If you would prefer to talk to someone else about such matters, this can be easily arranged. 

iCaSH offers information, screening and treatment for sexual health, such as Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs). They also offer free condoms and contraception advice and pregnancy and termination advice. This is a totally confidential service. You do not need to be referred by your GP and they will not pass information on to anyone including your GP.

Telephone 0300 300 3030 to make an appointment. Services are run out of a variety of accessible locations.



Drug and Alcohol support

If you are concerned about your drug or alcohol use and would like support from a young person’s service rather than being referred to adult services ask your Personal Adviser/Social Worker or support worker to make a referral to Cambridgeshire Child and Adolescent Substance Use Service (CASUS) on your behalf.

Alternatively you can get free and confidential support from Inclusion (adult service) if you live in Cambridgeshire. They can arrange for you to see a counsellor near where you live. Call Inclusion on 0300 555 0101

If you live in another county ask your Personal Adviser which service to contact or look on the NHS Choices website.

Talk to Frank is the national 24-hour drug advice and information line - 0800 776600



Featured Links