This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. View our cookie policyX

Participation & Engagement

 It is really important that you are involved in all aspects of your care and planning for the future. You have a right to be involved in all decisions about your plans and Social Workers and Personal Advisers will always want to know what you think and what you want to happen.



The Care Leavers Forum. 

This is a support and discussion group specifically for Care Leavers where young people can share their views on the service provided by the Leaving Care Team and how it could be improved.  The group is always looking for new members. You didn’t have to have been involved before you were 18 and everyone is welcome. They can provide transport to get you to activities and provide reward vouchers for your time and effort.

It is organised by the Participation Service who organise lots of groups and events and involve looked after children and care leavers in a range of activities.

There are also things aimed at improving services and the experiences of children who are looked after and leave care in future, including the Children in Care Council, interviewing staff, supporting the training of foster carers and social work students and consultations about how services should be organised.

If you are interested in knowing more, ask your Personal Adviser/Social Worker or contact the Participation Service at:




You may like to receive support from an independent advocate if you would like help in expressing your views, including situations where you are unhappy about decisions or the care you receive. Independent advocates can inform you about your rights and help you to be heard in meetings. They are separate from Children’s Services.



Cambridgeshire County Council work with a specialist advocacy agency called NYAS. You can contact them yourself either by phone – 0808 8081001 or you can email them on

If you are an unaccompanied young person seeking asylum, you can also access specialist agencies for support. One of these is called the Refugee Council. You can contact them by phone - 020 7346 1134 or email:  

Your Personal Adviser and Social Worker can help you make contact with either of these agencies or find someone else that may help.

Access to files. You have a right to see the information we keep about you, including the files and records written about you when you were in care and as a Care Leaver. Your Social Worker or Personal Adviser can support you to do this, and explain how the process works.

Alternatively, you might want to sort this out yourself. This type of request is known as a ‘subject access request’ and there is no charge. 

Contact the Data Protection Team on 01223 699137 or email  

You will be asked to compete a form and provide proof of identification (ID) and information is normally made available within 40 working days.



Mind of my Own is an app that is used by thousands of young people to talk about everyday problems that might be going through alongside bigger issues that are more difficult to deal with. The app offers a secure platform to communicate with professionals about your problems and get help and advice if you are finding it difficult to ask your carer, or social worker for help.

The app is totally free and can be downloaded onto your phone. It also lets you make suggestions on how services might improve in future and what we can do better to help you.

You can sign up now: MOMO


The Charity Break offers a participation service for young people in care and leaving care. They provide fun sessions for young people that get them engaged and involved with various projects that can help boost their employability skills, you might even be rewarded with vouchers and food if you take part.

You can contact the break participation Team  by email at:


Featured Links