This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. View our cookie policyX



When you reach your 18th birthday you will move from being supported by Social Care to becoming financially self-supporting. This may mean claiming benefits to fund the cost of where you are living and to support yourself while you study or look for work. If you are on a low wage you may be able to receive some support with the cost of your accommodation. In some situations, we will continue to provide financial support either directly to you or to your carers or accommodation provider. Speak with your Personal Advisor for more information.

For more detailed financial information visit either:

Finances: 16 + 17


Finances: 18+



If required, your Social Worker or Personal Adviser will support you to initiate a benefit claim three weeks before your 18th birthday. You will be asked to sign a form saying that you are happy for them to talk to the Department of Work & Pensions about your claim. Your worker will help you obtain a National Insurance number or Home Office ID card, and support you to open a bank account into which your benefit can be paid. 

Before you can start to claim benefits you will need to set up an account on the website to prove who you are. Your worker can support you with this.

If you are in education you will need to get a letter from your school or college stating that you are a full time student.

If you are unwell and unable to study or work you will need to obtain a sick note from your GP.

You will also need a copy of your Tenancy Agreement or Staying Put agreement to take to your first Job Centre appointment. Your worker will accompany you to the initial appointment or, if they are not available, identify another suitable person to attend with you.  

The benefit system has recently changed as Universal Credit is gradually being introduced. Universal Credit is a single monthly payment for people in or out of work. It replaces Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance and Employment and Support Allowance.  It also incorporates benefits such as tax credits and housing benefit.

You will be expected to manage your benefits claim online and for this you will need access to the internet either through a smart phone or computer. If you think you might find this difficult, talk to your Personal Adviser/Social Worker or key worker if you live in supported accommodation so that arrangements can be made.


Finances: 18+

Finances: Age 16 + 17

Featured Links