What Youthoria visitors said about Child Sexual Exploitation
Youthoria recently ran a survey in partnership with the Cambridgeshire Local Safeguarding Children Board to find out how much young people in Cambridgeshire understand about Child Sexual Exploitation and how information about this topic should be provided.
Nearly 400 young people completed the on-line survey between November 2013 and February 2014….. Here is what the survey found:
- Even though there is a lot in the news about CSE just over a third of young people said they didn’t know what it was. The other two thirds were able to describe at least one thing about CSE but not all of the different ways that it takes place.
- Most young people got their information about CSE from Newspapers, Magazine, TV and the Radio, school was the second highest , then the internet but family and friends were at the bottom of the list.
- Well over half the young people that took part in the survey didn’t think they knew enough about CSE.
- A good number of young people knew where they could get more information about CSE and named local youth agencies and websites like Youthoria.
- Most of the suggestions for helping young people to learn more about CSE were based on activities in school but there were some warnings against making weird videos or trying to scare people.
IN order to help young people understand the risk of Child Sexual Exploitation, the LSCB just asked a theatre company Alter Ego to put on their play about CSE in all the schools in Cambridgeshire to all year 9 pupils. This happened in February and March 2014 and we will be able to tell you what young people thought about the play and how it made a difference to them later on this year on Youthoria.
If you would like to know more about CSE please click on the link below for lots of information about agencies and support with child sexual exploitation and related issues for Children and Young People.