This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. View our cookie policyX

29/11/18 - Waiting for counselling service

29/11/18 - Male, 17 :

I feel like I am slowly giving up, everyday I am dredding college, it is making me physically and mentally ill, I have been put on the councilling list for centre33 for a month or two now, and have heard nothing, it is affecting my life dramatically, and am starting to overthink life and it's meaning etc.. what do I do?

Ali says -

Thank you for making contact with me.  It is really positive that you are able to acknowledge how you are feeling and that you have sought counselling through Centre 33.  I would advise that you make contact with Centre 33 again on It is really very unusual for young people on the waiting list to not hear from C33 so ring them on 0333 414 1809 as they might want to re assess you in light of how you are feeling and offer you support.  They will also be able to tell you about their drop-ins where you could access support until you have your appointments confirmed.  I am aware that their drop-in in Ely is open today between 4-7 if you want to talk to someone today and from your postcode I think this could be your closest centre
In Cambridgeshire the County Council commission an on line counselling service for young people called Kooth.  This service is safe, free and anonymous.  Young people log on and create an account, you can then wait on line for an initial assessment with a counsellor.  This might take an hour or so but once you have had the assessment you then agree a regular time that suits you to speak on line with your own counsellor.  They do not have a waiting list and could provide you with this service very quickly.  I think it’s important that you tell them you are on a waiting list for face to face counselling with C33 as they do not recommend young people access more than one counselling service at any time.  However you could work with a Kooth counsellor until Centre 33 have availability or if you are happy with the service from Kooth you could stay with them and come off the Centre 33 waiting list. To access the Kooth website click here

In addition to the above it’s really important to keep talking honestly about the way you are feeling.  Try to do this in person with a parent, friend, teacher or another professional at your college.  Locally you can talk to the First response service (call 111 option 2) to access support and someone to talk to urgently. Alternatively you can talk to a Childline counsellor on 0800 1111 or online at  or the Samaritans free of charge, 24 hours a day 365 days a year on 116123

Back to Health